Saturday, October 3, 2026

Mercy and Grace

I’ve written many thoughts regarding God’s amazing grace and the wonderful changes that take place when He forgives our sins.  But I realized this morning that I seldom mention the mercy God showed me before my conversion, when I became part of the family of God.

I look back and marvel at how God overshadowed me and protected me from numerous close calls when the possibility of injury or death seemed to be at the door, banging, wanting to devour me in whatever way the spirit of darkness could contrive.  But God said, “No!”

I believe the Lord not only heard the prayers of my parents and older siblings; He honored their prayers, providing me with mercy and undeserved grace by sparing my life, even while I was totally separated from Him.

To show you how much God loves us, He showed me mercy even during the years I was running from Him.  The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit were working together in my life, even when I thought I was totally on my own.  All three had a part in overshadowing my coming and going, even though I thought I was making my own decisions.

Were it not for God’s mercy and unmerited grace, I might have continued my trek down the lonely road to destruction, where total heartache exists.  Because of God’s eternal love, His blessings sustained me during my rebellious years when I was not serving Him.

It wasn’t by chance.  God’s love and mercy were with me before I first loved him, even though I was lost in sin.  He knew where I was at all times, even though I thought I was hiding from Him.

I’m a true believer that prayer changes things.  I believe the prayers of my parents and siblings mattered.  God heard them, and in His mercy, He answered them in ways I may never fully understand.

“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” — Romans 5:8

Had it not been for His mercy and grace, hope would have eluded me.  But God is a merciful God who always goes the extra mile in His desire to bring us into the light of His love.

God’s mercy was reaching for me long before I realized I was lost.

Written by,

Papa Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment