Sunday, September 13, 2026

Consequences of Our Actions

Before I begin, would you agree that there can be consequences related to a person’s actions?  Let’s explore this thought together.

No doubt, if you reminisced over past situations, you could probably remember something you or someone else did that resulted in negative consequences.  Someone once said, “This is how you learn.”  That may be true, but who wants to do the wrong thing?  Nobody!  Why not do what is right from the get-go, so to speak?

I dislike making any kind of mistake.  But mistakes are going to happen as long as I’m alive.  There was only one man who was perfect—Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Allow me to inject this thought: I’m so glad the Lord is long-suffering and gentle with me when correction is necessary.  I try to learn from my mistakes because the consequences of my actions are not always good.

Don’t get me wrong—I’m not saying that all actions result in negative consequences.  On the contrary.  For you and me to do good is the desire of God.  He wants us to love Him with all our mind, body, and spirit and to treat others as we want to be treated.  He wants us to be good stewards of the money He has entrusted to us.  He wants us to speak softly and consider the feelings of others.

You’re probably thinking, “Speak softly and carry a big stick.”  No!  That’s not what I’m saying at all.

“A soft answer turns away wrath” is a familiar proverb from the Bible, found in Proverbs 15:1.  What a powerful reminder that our response to someone can either calm a situation or make it worse.

I hope you’re still tracking with me regarding the subject of this writing: Consequences of Our Actions.

Sir Isaac Newton is well known as one of the greatest scientists who ever lived.  He stated, “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction,” which, in a general sense, fits with the theme of this writing.

You’ve probably heard the phrase, “What you say may come around and bite you.”  It means that your current words or actions can cause trouble for you later.

“What goes around comes around” is another popular expression, meaning that the actions we take—whether good or bad—can eventually come back to us in one form or another.

Here’s a thought: You are a product of what you say and do.  I truly believe this.  Our character and reputation are shaped by the relationship between what we say and how we actually live.

There is a quote attributed to Carl Jung that says, “You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.”  Carl Jung (1875-1961) was a pioneering Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded the school of analytical psychology.

I am still focusing on the consequences of our actions.

Scripture tells us that the tongue can be quite unruly and difficult to control.  I sincerely believe this.  In my research regarding the tongue, I was amazed at how many Scriptures deal with the consequences of an uncontrolled tongue.

I especially like 1 Peter 3:10: “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.”

I also like the verse in Proverbs 21:23: “Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.”

It seems that in the day we live in, people would rather give someone else a piece of their mind than sit down and calmly talk through their differences.

Consequences are produced by what we project, whether verbally or through our actions.  Good or bad results can come from words that are carefully thought out before they are spoken—or from talking off the top of our heads without considering the consequences of our words.

Our words matter.  Our actions matter.  Consequences do matter.

Written by,

Papa Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment