Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Step Beyond the Shyness

For the most part, I’m leaning toward the thought that there are fewer take-control, “follow me” type personalities out there than those who would rather follow than take charge and lead because of shyness.

My personality is more like the latter—shy and wanting to find a corner and drink my soda rather than converse with people.  But something happened when Jesus gave me something real to talk about: when God forgave my sins.

When I experienced the new birth and became a born-again believer, I was emboldened.  God didn’t necessarily change my personality—He gave me courage within my personality.  He took me from passiveness to becoming a warrior for Christ when it came to the things of God.

I am able to witness for Him and tell others of His incredible love and that God’s amazing grace is available to everyone who sincerely repents of their sins.  I am able to step beyond my shyness when it comes to sharing the story of my conversion to Christianity.  God really gave me a boldness I never had before meeting Jesus.

Am I still shy when meeting strangers and trying to find common ground with them?  Yes, but there is a “but” that follows.  I received power to witness from the Holy Spirit when He indwelled this shy vessel.

Jesus said: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you and ye shall be witnesses unto me…” – Acts 1:8

The Holy Spirit helps me push beyond my shyness.  He fills my mouth with words that are not my own.  At times, I marvel at what comes out of my mouth.  It seems as if I’m listening to God speaking directly to others, using my vocal cords and tongue.  It’s hard to find the words to explain the phenomenon.

When I write “Thoughts for Today,” I am amazed at what comes to my mind to share, in different ways, the good news of God’s love.

We each have our own unique personalities.  God created us to be who we are, even in our mother’s womb.  How boring it would be if we were all alike!

My wife’s personality is opposite from mine.  She is outgoing, friendly, and knows no strangers.  We are definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our personalities.  Her humor, love for people, and ability to talk to people goes without saying.

Since childhood, I’ve been shy.  But when an opportunity to share Christ presents itself, I rarely shy away.

Are you shy?  Do you wish you had more boldness?

The Bible tells us: “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” – 2 Timothy 1:7

Pray and ask God to set you free from timidity, call upon the name of Jesus.  I believe you will find comfort rising from deep within you.

It is wonderful to become an ambassador of Christ—to experience the freedom that comes from stepping beyond our shyness.

Even a strong believer can experience apprehension.  Yet we can still ask God for courage to proclaim Christ.  We don’t have to become someone else to be bold for Jesus.  We simply need to allow Him to use who He created us to be.

Written by,

Papa Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment