Thursday, October 8, 2026

Light or Dark?

I’m not talking about color schmes, whether they lean toward light or dark hues, nor am I visualizing someone’s hair color—blond or brunette.  And I’m not talking about separating the light-colored clothes from the dark ones when doing the laundry.

Here’s another angle to consider: Perhaps you or someone you know has experienced the need for a soft light shining in the bedroom at night because of a fear of the dark.

Or consider this: Dark, dank, and dreary days are just that—dark, dank, and dreary.  They can be somewhat depressing at times, especially when I was a kid wanting to go outside and play.  But my susceptibility to colds and winter illnesses made that a difficult decision for my parents.  They wanted to say yes but were compelled to keep me indoors for health reasons.  It seemed I was allergic to everything—my allergies were allergic to my allergies!

I was even allergic to my own hair when Dad would cut it.  I would start sneezing and coughing, my eyes would begin to tear up, and, depending on how long it took Dad to finish, I would sometimes start wheezing.

I was a different boy altogether when the sun shone brightly on a warm summer’s day.  I loved seeing the sunshine outside!  My parents had fewer worries about my being exposed to whatever illnesses might be going around.  I had my fair share of hospital stays because of allergies and asthma.

But enough about my woes.  God brought me through it all!  Today, I’m very healthy, with no allergies or asthma to speak of.

Let’s explore, for a moment, the difference between light and darkness in the spiritual realm.

The Bible tells us that our struggle is not merely against what we can see in the natural world.  Ephesians 6:12 explains that we wrestle against spiritual forces of darkness: “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

We may not see these spiritual forces, but we must remain alert to their influence.  Just as allergies can affect our physical well-being, temptation and spiritual deception can affect our spiritual health if we are not watchful.

The Word of God provides the strength and wisdom we need to stand firm against the enemy of our souls.  It is the light we need to see clearly in the darkness and to keep us from fearing what we cannot see—much like the nightlight I mentioned earlier.

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” — Psalm 119:105

The three words in our title, Light or Dark, are words we need to consider carefully rather than simply let them pass through our minds without a second thought.  When we face a situation that brings this question to mind, we need to Stop, Look, and Listen to what is happening around us and within us.  Could we be facing a spiritual struggle that requires discernment?

Is it a temptation that could turn a day spent walking with the Lord into one overshadowed by the enemy’s influence?  Could we be allowing darkness to creep in where God’s light should be shining?

For me, I choose to walk in the light of God’s love rather than dwell in an atmosphere of darkness that promotes fear and dread.  The light of God’s love nurtures us in mind, body, and spirit as we keep our hearts and minds fixed on Him.

The dark, dreary surroundings of life can discourage us and weigh us down, but we do not have to allow them to determine how we walk through each day.  The light of God’s love will never dim, and His truth will continue to guide us as long as we keep our eyes on His Son.

Through Him, we can live victoriously, warmed and strengthened by the light of His unfailing love.

So, when life presents you with a choice, remember to ask yourself: Light or Dark?

Written by,

Papa Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment