There are moments from childhood that remain as vivid today as if they happened yesterday. For me, many of those memories come from growing up in the small town of Martinez, California—a close-knit bedroom community where neighbors knew one another, children played freely, and life seemed wonderfully uncomplicated. Major crimes were almost unheard of. Petty theft may have occurred from time to time, but nothing that caused people to live behind locked doors or constant fear. Looking back, it feels like a different world.
Halloween was one of my
favorite nights of the year. Armed with
nothing more than a costume and a pillowcase, I would wander the streets by
myself, going from house to house as neighbors cheerfully filled my bag with
candy. Parents didn’t worry about
poisoned treats or hidden razor blades because such stories simply didn’t exist
in our community. Trust was the fabric
of everyday life.
It was also perfectly normal
for me to walk the two blocks to our neighborhood store after dusk. No one thought twice about it. The streets were quiet, the people were
familiar, and home never felt far away.
Yet there was one thing that
stirred my young imagination—the darkness.
I remember whistling as I
walked home, almost as if the sound reassured me that everything would be all
right. The shadows cast by trees and
porch lights seemed mysterious, and every dark corner invited my imagination to
invent dangers that weren’t really there.
As I reached our front porch, I would hurry to open the unlocked door,
jump inside, and quickly shut it behind me.
In those fleeting moments, I was convinced that someone—or
something—might grab me before I made it safely indoors.
You might ask, “How in the
world could your parents allow you to do such things? Didn’t they care what happened to you?” They absolutely did. They loved me deeply and cared about my
safety and well-being. But times were
different back then. Children were precious,
and people looked out for one another.
The saying, “It takes a village to raise a child,” truly reflected the
heart and character of the good, honorable people who lived there.
Today I smile at those
childhood fears, knowing they existed only in my imagination. Yet as I have grown older, I have come to
realize that while those imagined shadows disappeared, another kind of darkness
has spread across our world.
The darkness we face today is
no longer confined to childhood fears or the absence of sunlight. It reveals itself in broken families,
violence, hatred, addiction, abuse, deception, and a growing rejection of God’s
truth. The innocence that once
characterized so many communities has steadily faded, replaced by uncertainty
and fear.
I often hear people ask, “What
has happened to our country? Where have
honor, integrity, and respect gone?”
From my understanding of
Scripture, the answer is spiritual before it is social misbehavior. The Bible teaches that we are living in the
last days before the return of Jesus Christ.
Satan continues his relentless work to deceive, divide, and destroy,
while many have chosen to set God aside in pursuit of their own desires. As sin becomes increasingly accepted, the
shadows grow darker.
Yet darkness has never been
able to overcome God’s light. That is
the beautiful message of the Gospel.
Jesus Christ entered a dark
world to bring hope where there was despair, forgiveness where there was guilt,
and life where there was death. Every
one of us has sinned. Scripture declares
that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
No amount of good works,
kindness, or personal effort can erase our guilt before a holy God. That is why Jesus willingly went to the
cross. He bore the punishment we
deserved, died for our sins, rose victorious from the grave, and now sits at
the right hand of the Father, interceding for those who place their faith in
Him.
Because of His sacrifice, no
one has to remain in spiritual darkness.
When we confess our sins,
repent, and place our trust in Jesus Christ, He forgives us completely. His light begins to transform our hearts,
replacing fear with peace, guilt with grace, and hopelessness with everlasting
hope.
As believers, we are called to
live in this world without becoming part of its corruption. We are pilgrims on
a journey, citizens of a heavenly kingdom, passing through this temporary life
while looking forward to the eternal home Christ has prepared for those who
love Him.
For that reason, I believe we
should pray daily, asking God to surround ourselves and our loved ones with His
protection and grace. We can face an
increasingly dark world with confidence because we never walk through it
alone. The Lord Himself walks beside us.
I still remember those
childhood evenings when I hurried through the shadows toward the safety of my
father’s house. Now I see those memories
differently.
The shadows I feared as a
little boy have become a reminder of a far greater spiritual truth. Every person must one day decide whether to
remain in darkness or step into the marvelous light of Jesus Christ.
The invitation has never
changed.
Jesus loves beyond measure. He does not desire that anyone should perish
but that all would come to repentance and receive the gift of eternal
life. Through His immeasurable love, He
clothes us in His righteousness, calls us His children, and welcomes us into
His eternal family.
When Christ dwells within us,
the shadows may still surround us, but they no longer define us. The darkness cannot overcome the Light, and
because He lives within us, we can walk forward in faith, hope, and confidence
until the day we finally arrive home.
Written by,
Papa Boyd
No comments:
Post a Comment